Sunday, December 5, 2010

a word from a designer: FONTS you should not use

This post is dedicated to FONTS/TYPOGRAPHY you should not use as a designer/artist/tarpmaker/layout artist/common human being. I have live long enough, experience this and I will say I can't keep it anymore >__< I'm done. I see ads, posters, tarps, signage/s every single day. enduring the torture to my little eyes.. T___T having this fonts publish, and all I can say is, why? why are this fonts exists? gaaah

ok enough with the rant let's get down to the biz.


I have listed down some fonts that we cannot ever ever ever *bury it down 6ft under* use in our daily lives:

chillah, chillah nights!
CHILLER, 80's was over and so is this ancient font of horror, I hate it. Yeah it was cool then, thanks to MJ, but we could leave it alone in the coffin for good. Chiller font is not scary anymore, get over it. It was so 80's zombie movie. Today is the Plants vs Zombies, the walking dead era!

comical fun, yet not stylish at all

COMIC SANS. There is a reason why it was named comic sans, because it was use for COMICS, duh? People who use this might want to have FUN, HAPPY, and CASUAL feel to their collateral but it ain't good for you.AND comic sans in colors are the worst!

I have rather personal experience in this font, I designed a book with a comic sans font, *so true* BUT this is because it was a special book for people with dyslexia(whew, I actually spelled dyslexia right). I tried to argue with my art director, but he said the font was tested so that people with dyslexia can read the book *crime comitted* I personally hate comic sans because it's a joke, as a designer you don't put jokes in your ads.

There is even a site dedicated just to banned this font:
http://bancomicsans.com/main/

a lot of people hate comics sans, you should too!


Leave this to the Egyptians!
PAPYRUS, stop using this ugly font. PLEASE. I don't really understand why people kept on using this ugly font, it really looks cheap. AND it is not good for a company logo!

see how cheap looking this is, whoever did this logo must immediately die!
no matter what happens never ever use this font, unless you want to look cheap

another hate/love website dedicated to this:
http://www.papyruswatch.com/

love me darling, love me -monotype corsiva
MONOTYPE CORSIVA, I could forgive you for using this for invitations such and such, but seeing it makes me think that the artist who uses it lacks originality and concept. hmm sorry...
see this FORGIVABLE

this one is NOT!
my goodness, never ever use this font in BIG letters and CAPITALIZE it too!
I see a faggotory of layout in monotype corsiva, I really don't know why :<

CURLZ, the ULTIMATE jejemon font and...
  ...GIGI the 2nd ULTIMATE jejemon font (see how they look alike )
CURLZ and GIGI, if I could burn these fonts, I will.
Curlz MT is the ultimate jejemon font, why you asked me? because it is spelled CURLZ, with a Z.Gigi on the other hand is also likely a jejemon font, because of its similarity from its predecessor.

I see those typography everywhere, from menus, banners (a lot, nowadays because of the Christmas season), sale ads, it is even a title of a BLOG omg kill me, invitation cards, I mean almost EVERYWHERE. It was almost like the people that made all those things mention above is just one person. Because every time I see it, the font is laid-out in the same way, it was always colored in hot pink. >__< It really hurts my eyes! I'm gonna die >___<

Also, I hate this font because normal people who doesn't know design, use this with capital letters.

SIMPLE RULE OF THUMB: in basic typography, any decorative font is never used in all capital letters. (such as these hated fonts, monotype, corsiva, gigi and curlz) 
.
 I hated them so much, I don't use them. If you are from microsoft, please never ever install these fonts anymore, unless you want destruction to the human race.

P.S. Ok I just listed mine, I left out arial and times new roman because I could forgive them in some ways, do have any fonts in mind that shouldn't exists? tell me watchuthink ^__^

2 comments:

  1. Hi, pleased to meet you and your wonderful blog

    right on Fonts

    Come pay a visit some time

    ReplyDelete