Monday, November 22, 2010

a word from a designer: clients

Ok. I got angry with a client. Well not that angry, I just told him some frank words that might re-think the way he treats a designer/artist. You see guys, if you want a logo designed by a designer don't expect to come in a very cheap price. We designers, put time and effort to design and custom-made an idea of your specification. We also have a business, a business of art and design.
 

My scenario is this, a client ask me to design his logo for his up-coming business. He told me he hasn't got the budget, and if its ok to work on a very small budget (how small? lets say its not enough to buy me a 1 terabyte HD, still curious? check on sulit.com.ph for prices).

I said YES ok, BUT given with my terms and conditions.

I have agreed on:


Terms and Conditions:
- 1 design for logo
- 1 design for layout and illustration, if you will be needing more illustrations I would have to 
   charge a fee
- 2 revisions allowed, further than that I would have to charge a fee
-50% down upon starting
-50% balance upon submission of files
-copyright will belong to me

Note: Since this is a small business, I have allowed you to charge a small fee, this quotation is limited to ONE cart only, if you decided to extend a cart or create a booth or create a franchise, then I have to charge you with a fee for royalties (net of tax)for extension, limited to booth and cart; a separate fee for franchise of logo and illustration. Any unauthorized usage of logo and illustration will be subject to legal action, republic act No. 8293, presidential decree no. 49.

He already agreed (sunday), gave me a color scheme to work on, the deadline is on wednesday. I said "ok, but you have to deposit on monday for me to start working on the logo."  I gave him the terms (see terms and conditions) I ask if it's ok.

he said "OK" and logged out.

Monday came and I ask him if he had received and agreed to my email. Then, he suddenly tells me, we change the color scheme, do this do that, this is our competitor and just make a logo that looks like theirs,   hey can you whip me up a sketch for the design first?

I said "I have yet to confirm you deposit first before I could make a sketch :)  thanks."

then the client emailed me: what if we don't like the concept, we only get one turn right? is it going to be forfeited?

CLIENT TIP: If you're not sure if the designer is good, ask some of her/his portfolio samples, that way you have a preview of what quality he/she can bring to the table.In this case, I already had a DA acct, in w/c he already checked.

then I got really frank at him:
" you already knew what I am capable of as a designer, I thought that's why you hired me for.

Next thing, I'll also invest my time and effort to do you a logo, so actually the down payment is for my study already and FYI it's very cheap. Naka mura ka na nga actually, normally this logo costs XX because you are going to use this for business, in short you are going to earn from this, right?

Please always remember good design is not cheap. If you want just a plain logos that looks like your competitor, then go to the nearest computer shop and let them design for you,
and don't hire a designer and expect cheap design too :)

thanks "
after that he didnt emailed me again.(it was ok, but I really hope he learned a lesson)

P.S.I really did a study of the logo before he made any down payment I got excited to get to design again.

too bad for him(client) and this little guy T_T

No comments:

Post a Comment